BTude w t f ?

BTude a.k.a. GlassHoppah on the beaches of
Kaneohe, Hawaii, United States ... a 30 sumthin' attitudinally impaired brat, just returning to college. Is that a disability? Overworked, underpaid and in the midst of a major career change. Dare you ask for more about b'tude...

+ back to school: week 7
+ back to school: week 6
+ shameless plugz: 02.18.2005
+ bitch and bull: 02.11.2005
+ back to school: week 5
+ bitch and bull: 02.04.2005
+ back to school: week 4
+ thoughtless vday gifts
+ back to school: week 3
+ shameless plugz: 01.27.2005


24 February 2005


research: b.c./a.d. vs. c.e./b.c.e.

Update: 03.16.2005: 31 down, 69 to go! 94 down, 6 ta' go! Bloggers rock! Oh and Andy, damnit, I think it's a penguin tale response you win... or something! Of course, if you did what Becky, at April Fool did by pimping out her blog in the name of research, and the responses she garnered from her crew of readers--we could negotiate!

Thank you to everyone who has responded to date! The diversity and honesty of your opinions is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the first academic edition of the series, "Keep My Ass Rockin’ This Class!"

I’m currently conducting a random sampling of the street population; literally from the local street corner, to the blogosphere, and from anyone victim willing to surrender a few, anonymous answers—all in the name of academia…

Participants will receive my gratitude by way of one big mahalo, muchas gracias, grazie, etc. Oh, and the kicker, you’ll have one less bitchy post in the blogosphere if I can track down one hundred participants!

Those who wish to participate can email me directly, or simply leave a response in the comment section. I will occasionally bump this post back up to the top, until I reach the necessary number for sampling! Do tell all of your friends, your families, and your comrades in click whoring to get me 100 legit responses, and I promise, I’ll be a good girl for the rest of the semester (Ok, I’ll try!)

There is no need to rewrite the question—just use the corresponding number and include your response. There is no right or wrong answer—be honest! Question Number 4 is optional—if you prefer not to answer, please leave blank or enter no disclosure.

Please be sure to let me know who sent you in #6!

1. How do you define the terms B.C and/or A.D.?

2. How do you define the terms C.E. and/or B.C.E.?

3. Which term do you prefer to use?

4. What is your religious affiliation?

5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning?

6. Additional Comments:


[Email Your Response]

If you’re looking for the series, “back to school,” week 7 is here!

Aloha!

§

scrawled by BTude a.k.a. GlassHoppah @ Thursday, February 24, 2005

50 bitches:

@ 23 February, 2005 23:58, Blogger D Brooks eloquently stated...

1. Latin for Before Crist and after Death
2. Means the same thing, but damned if I can remember
3. B.C and A.D.
4. Christian
5. They're just a way of having a starting date for a calendar, it had to start somewhere.

DB

 

@ 24 February, 2005 05:31, Blogger Wench eloquently stated...

1) Before Christ / anno Domini

2) Common Era / Before Common Era

3) Neither, but if I had to choose, BC/AD just because that's what I grew up with and was taught in school.

4) None (although I was baptized as a Christian)

5) Yes, they have religious meaning.

6) With regard to question 5 - That's part of history. Everything was based on or surrounded by religion back then. Whether people care to agree with it or not NOW, it's how it was. Period. People can fight it all they want now, but history is history is history. If the world wasn't so damn politically correct nowadays, this wouldn't even be an issue.

 

@ 24 February, 2005 12:31, Blogger Becky eloquently stated...

I'll link ya' on my site, but here are my answers.

1. Same as DB and Priss -- before Christ and after (anno domini).

2. I don't know those terms, but I'm guessing they are more of a "scientific" explanation of the time period.

3. If this is asking if I use BC versus CE, then I use BC b/c I don't know what CE is.

4. Christian

5. Yes, I think the BC and AD do, as the definition is Before Christ and After. Pretty straight-forward.

Interesting that the terms are used, when my understanding is that Julius Caesar is responsible for the current calendar and he was Before Christ.

 

@ 24 February, 2005 13:38, Blogger Sharron eloquently stated...

1) Before Christ and After Death
2) No clue, sorry
3) BC/AD
4) Catholic
5) Yes, I feel they do have religious meaning - or at least #1 does, don't know for sure about #2
6) Hi, I clicked over from Becky's siter. Good luck in getting to 100!!

 

@ 24 February, 2005 14:57, Blogger meeta eloquently stated...

1. Before Christo/ Anno Domino
2. No clue whatsoever.
3. BC/ AD
4. Well I'm Hindu, but I was christened Catholic (don't ask)
5. Hmmm, i've never thought about it but just used AD/BC just the same.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 03:49, Anonymous Lynne eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ/Anno Domini.
2. Not sure if it's Common Era/Before Common Era or Christian Era/Before Christian Era.
3. BC/AD, because it's familiar.
4. None, but my beliefs lean towards Buddhism.
5. Historically, it has religious meaning.
6. Visiting from Becky's site. Hi there and good luck with your assignment!

 

@ 25 February, 2005 04:41, Blogger Brad eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ / AD just means after the birth of Christ.

2. Not heard of those terms.

3. #1's terms since they are familiar.

4. Dont practice religion. Raised Methodist.

5. I know they do, but I use them without regard for that religious meaning.

6. Becky from April Fool sent me. Additionally, I really dislike organized religion (but still like those who practice it!). :)

 

@ 25 February, 2005 06:16, Blogger SirTalksALot eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini - In the Year of Our Lord

2. Calendar Era and Before the Common Era

3. Before Christ

4. Christian

5. Modernly speaking, and in this context, I would say they're more of a reference point built around Christ as a person than Christ as a religious diety. But to the Christian, I would say each reference to Christ always brings Him to mind and just reiterates the importance of His existence to every day life. (EX: His name is associated with each and every year "Before Christ and In the Year of our Lord", so therefore every year should be dedicated to Him (for a really really literal and dedicated Christian).

6. Visiting via Becky's site.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 07:55, Blogger Jade eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ/After Death
2. Never heard of those before
3. B.C/A.D. because those are the ones that I know...
4. Christian
5. I believe they used to. I don't feel they do so much any longer, they are simply a date, a reference to a time period. Back in the day it was the same, yet I believe it held more of a respect association than to simply refer to a time frame.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 08:10, Blogger DJ eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ/After Death
2. Same thing just more complicated
3. B.C. and A.D. 'cuz that's what everyone knows and understands
4. Don't practice a religion
5. Yes - I suppose, considering the terms used in question 1. I always assumed so, but never really thought about it.

Good luck with your project!

 

@ 25 February, 2005 09:29, Blogger Kim eloquently stated...

1.Before Christ/After Death
2.Christian Era/Before Christian Era
3.BC/AD
4.Nothing
5.I think it has more to do with historic timetables than anything.
6.I read your post as I usually do. Hope your project is successful!

 

@ 25 February, 2005 10:58, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, anno Domini
2. Common Era, Before Common Era
3. B.C./A.D. - I'm old, sue me
4. Unaffiliated - Christian
5/6. B.C./A.D. have origins in religion, but I disagree with the PC police that it matters. Not inappropriate to mark time by the most well-known figure in history - whatever your religion.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 11:10, Blogger MontiLee eloquently stated...

Sorry about that - horrible spelling.

Okay, My e-mail won't work right so here:

1. Before Christ and anno Domini

2. CE – Common Era; BCE = Before Common Era

3. CE/BCE, but I've used both sets of terms

4. Witch – but I was brought up Methodist with a Catholic Education

5. The answer to that question is simply “yes”. They do and don’t have religious meaning, since they can be interchangeable (to most people). I’ve used both in secular conversation with no religious connotation attached

6. Additional Comments:
I was sent by Blog Explosion, but just before that I was on D Brooks' blog and he said I should come here. I was so shocked that BE would link you right adter his, I went ahead and blogged.

There is no such thing as coincidence…

 

@ 25 February, 2005 12:26, Anonymous mary ann eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, In the year of Our Lord (Anno Domini)

2. Common Era, Before Common Era

3. BCE, CE

4. Nonpracticing Catholic

5. I think BC and AD do have religious meaning.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 13:24, Blogger golfwidow eloquently stated...

1. "Before Christ" and "In the Year of Our Lord", respectively.
2. "Common Era" and "Before Common Era", respectively.
3. I use BC and AD, because they're more widely known and understood.
4. I was raised Jewish, but now I roll my own religion.
5. I think BC and AD originally had religious connotations, but that was only in the context of the times. CE and BCE make more sense, logically, if you think about the fact that according to most accounts, Jesus Christ was born in 4 BC, or four years before Himself.
6. I came in this time via BlogAzoo, but I've been here many times and will be back many more times.

 

@ 25 February, 2005 13:53, Blogger Grins eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, Anno Domini

2. Common Era, Before Common Era

3. second one

4. none

5. I think that people assign religious meaning to them, especially the first set.

 

@ 26 February, 2005 00:52, Blogger dreaming-neko eloquently stated...

hey, these guys are cheating on this quiz! :)
sounds like your having fun in class~ cool blog! have an great aloha friday!

 

@ 26 February, 2005 04:52, Blogger nu. eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, Anno Domini
2. don't know; never heard of them
3. b.c. i don't even use a.d. bc i suppose it should be pretty obvious
4. christian
5. i guess b.c. / a.d. does have a religious reference behind it. i don't know about the other one
6. courtesy of BlogExplosion

and just had to say... i love your page layout. and those are wicked shoes !

 

@ 26 February, 2005 20:47, Blogger Phil eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, Anno Domini. Though technically, they're centered around the year of Christ's "realization", when he was (if memory serves) 8 years old.

2. Not familiar with them.

3. BC/AD (obviously, based on my answer to #2).

4. Christian, non-denominational.

5. Though they have their origins in religion, they no longer have any religious connotation, just a method of keeping track of when things happened.

6. Wandered in through BlogAzoo.

 

@ 27 February, 2005 06:08, Blogger Der Tommissar eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ / Anno Domini (Year of the Lord)

2. Common Era / Before Common Era

3. BC / AD

4. Roman Catholic

5. All Calenders mark time from some seminal event. Since this calender derives from Western Civilization during a time when said civilization was overwhelmingly Christian, it's easy to understand why the birth of Christ was used as that point of reference. And yes, CE and BCE do have religious significance. They are another symbol of that religion which will not rest until all other organized religion is removed from public discourse.

6. There is no 6. Rock on.

 

@ 27 February, 2005 10:19, Blogger marjo moore eloquently stated...

fun with acronyms ;P
1. before Christ & after death
2. common era & before common era
3.it's pc to say ce/bce, but i don't think it will ever move beyond academia to laypeople. bc/ad will remain standard imho(& it's my preference for that reason only).
4. lapsed pca. buddhist admirer.
5. nep. most people are able and willing to differentiate the language they use between theological and academic spheres.

 

@ 27 February, 2005 19:33, Anonymous Chris eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Annon Domini.
2. Common Era and Before Common Era.
3. BC and AD.
4. Christian.
5. They do have a religious meaning, as it was a monk who created the calendar we use today.

 

@ 28 February, 2005 05:31, Blogger ACM eloquently stated...

1. I think of them as "before and after the year 0," although I know that they mean "before Christ" and "Ad Domine" (which I tend to think of as "after death").

2. Again, I think of these as synonomous terms for "before and after the year 0," although I know they mean "common/current era" and "before the common/current era"

3. I would use BC/AD as a default, for brevity, although I like the idea of the more generic terms.

4. Christian

5. I think that they have historic meaning, insofar as we need some dating system and are dating it from a major world figure. Of course, the dates for Jesus actual life don't correspond well to the year 0, so that's a bit off.
I guess that I don't think of them religiously (i.e., when I think of some Egyptian as 1000 B.C., that's a "way-back" measure, not relative to Christ). and yet I do think of "CE and BCE" as preferable due to religious neutrality.

 

@ 28 February, 2005 06:09, Blogger <"3 )~ eloquently stated...

1. before Christ, After Death

2. no idea!

3. numero uno: before Christ and after death

4. non-denominational Christian

5. I believe the first one does, as it is refering to Christ, and they are a way of identifying whether you are refering to before or after 0 A.D. -- which also refers to the timeline of Christ!

6. Got here via blogazoo!

 

@ 28 February, 2005 09:14, Blogger Andy Land eloquently stated...

1) "Before Christ" and "After Death", but I have an inkling in the back of my head that it means "Anno Domini" or something latin sounding.

2) Church of England & British Church of England. Not sure on the second one, but that's what I always thought they meant.

3) I don't use any of the above terms.

4) I was raised as an Episcopalian (the US version of the C.E.)and if I were a practicing Christain that's what I'd be today. Otherwise I have very personal beliefs about religion that doesn't fall into any of the traditional organized sects. Religion is a very silly practice and has caused more harm than good so I don't subscribe to it in general. I have more of a George Carlin view of it all.

5) No religious term has any meaning to me. Sadly, they have immense meaning to many others and those people, unfortunately are the ones in charge of everything.

6)I have always felt that religion and politics are best treated like one's private parts; enjoy them all you want but when in public keep them to yourself! What do I win?

 

1. Before Christ/After Christ
2. After and before the common era
3. I have no preference although I tend to see common era used more at the school I
attend.
4. Brought up RC, investigating Buddhism last few years. I am essentially at this time a deist.
5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning? The terms use religion as a time reference. That is all I see.

 

@ 01 March, 2005 14:19, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ / Anno Domini
it astounds me how many people don't know this2. It astound me how many people do know this. I am not one of them.

3. I try not to discriminate against a time period. It's not the time period's fault. Don't make me play favorites.

4. None, if I can help it.

5. The first - definitely. I don't know about the second. I'd have to do my own research on that.

6. This is an interesting question/series of questions. Got any more?

-- miyna

 

@ 03 March, 2005 05:27, Blogger Fence eloquently stated...

1. How do you define the terms B.C and/or A.D.?

Before Christ / Anno Domini (sp?)

2. How do you define the terms C.E. and/or B.C.E.?

Common Era / before common era

3. Which term do you prefer to use?

BC / AD (do you want reasons? - well because that's what is most common)

4. What is your religious affiliation?

Non-practicing, cherry picking Catholic

5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning?

BC & AD do in origin but to me they just signify time

6. Additional Comments:

Just surfing by from blogazoo

 

@ 03 March, 2005 07:31, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. How do you define the terms B.C and/or A.D.?

before Christ
Anno Domino

2. How do you define the terms C.E. and/or B.C.E.?

Common Era
Before Common Era

3. Which term do you prefer to use?

C.E., B.C.E.

4. What is your religious affiliation?

None

5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning?

I feel they do have religious meaning

6. Additional Comments:

Blog explosion

 

@ 03 March, 2005 11:41, Anonymous k@os eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ / Anno Domini. As a kid I used to think it meant "After his death".

2.Honestly never really heard them used before.

3. B.C. and A.D.

4. Agnostic.

5. Yes I do feel they have religious meaning, although less so in this day and age.

6. The fact that changing them was even contemplated is a sad example of political correctness run rampant. Why can't people accept that's just how things are. It's not someone forcing their religious beliefs on you by saying "Before Christ". It's always been that way. No one has bitched about it until now.

 

@ 03 March, 2005 14:56, Blogger Keely eloquently stated...

1. always forget the B.C. - Anno Domini
2. Common era - before common era
3. prefer #1 over #2
4. Christian - no claimed denoomination
5. Since I feel #2 is trying to erase #1, and this upsets me, than I would have to say that they do carry some religious (or maybe its just traditional) significance.
6. surfed in through BE

 

@ 05 March, 2005 09:39, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. How do you define the terms BC and/or AD?

Before Christ and any time that wasn't

2. How do you define the terms C.E. and/or B.C.E.?

Don't know the definitions but they mean the same as above

3. Which term do you prefer to use?

BC/AD

4. What is your religious affiliation?

Atheist (or officially Jedi on the UK census)

5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning?

Yeah but its not realy important anymore

6. Additional Comments:
I'm not even supposed to be here

 

1. Before Christ / Anno Domini (sp?) - it's not after death - that would leave a 30 year period unaccounted for - it means "in the year of our Lord"
2. Common Era / Before Common Era
3. I use BC / AD - no one knows what the heck you're talking about when you say CE or BCE. You have to stop and explain and omitting the religious reference isn't worth the hassel (to me)
4. No religious affiliation. Not athiest, maybe agnostic. I don't know.
5. I think there is some religious connotation there, but not in a way that says if you use the terms you are converting to christianity or anything. Just that everything around the time (in the west) the BC/AD split was set up was rooted in Christianity.

 

@ 05 March, 2005 17:39, Blogger bithiah gomer eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ; After Death (okay so
after reading the other comments I
see I am clearly wrong. Just shows
you how much I pay attention!)
2. Umm, don't know
3. B.C. and A.D
4. pentecostal
5. yes
6. surfed here through blogclicker

 

@ 07 March, 2005 23:25, Anonymous wired eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini.
2. No clue until I read Priss' post.
3. #1. Why? See above.
4. Nothing really structured.
5. Do.

 

@ 07 March, 2005 23:25, Anonymous wired eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini.
2. No clue until I read Priss' post.
3. #1. Why? See above.
4. Nothing really structured.
5. Do.

 

@ 07 March, 2005 23:26, Anonymous wired eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini.
2. No clue until I read Priss' post.
3. #1. Why? See above.
4. Nothing really structured.
5. Do.

 

@ 07 March, 2005 23:27, Anonymous wired eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini.
2. No clue until I read Priss' post.
3. #1. Why? See above.
4. Nothing really structured.
5. Do.

 

@ 10 March, 2005 13:17, Anonymous Risa eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ and Anno Domini
2. Before the Common Era and Common Era
3. BCE and CE, because I was trained as an academic in graduate school to use BCE and CE for being more precise (and I went to a Catholic graduate school)
4. No religious affiliation, raised that way
5. BC and AD absolutely have a religious meaning, because history for so long has been defined by the religions of the cultures of that times.
6. Came to you through BlogAzoo

 

@ 12 March, 2005 04:57, Blogger Suzanne eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ/ Anno Domini, or after the death

2. Common Era/ Before common era

3. B.C. A.D., because it's what I learned in school and is familiar

4.Believer, but no denominational affiliation. anti organized religion.

5.they refer to a religious event through the eyes of Christianity, but are a way of counting, a starting point. I wouldn't say it has a religious "meaning" per se

6. Additional Comments: With all of the hoopla these days from individuals...especially educational institutions wanting to remove any trace of Christianity from our country, I would guess this has something to do with yet another attempt? ... debating the politically correct choice of acronyms so as not to offend ...yada yada yada.

 

@ 12 March, 2005 08:04, Blogger Cara eloquently stated...

1. B.C. - before Christ A.D. - after death

2. Common Era...Before Common Era..basically the same thing as #1

3. B.C. & A.D.

4. Protestant/Christian

5. B.C. & A.D. have religious affiliation but I've never seen CE or BCE used in reference to religion.

6. Suzanne at http://contemblogging.blogspot.com had a link to your blogsite. I will also put a link on my blog to help with your project. Best wishes!

 

@ 12 March, 2005 11:00, Anonymous honestyrain eloquently stated...

1. before christ, anno domini

2. no clue

3. BC and AD

4. none

5. No religious meaning for me but rather the way i have come to understand the separatation of one chronological era from another.

6. suzanne at contemblogging

 

@ 13 March, 2005 14:13, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. Literally, Before Christ and Anno Domini. Practically, the way we count years (even if the guy's right and it is four years off from Christ's actual birth.)

2. Literally, Before Common Era and Common Era. Practically, same thing as B.C. and A.D.

3. B.C./A.D. -- Grew up using 'em.

4. Christian

5. They do to my professors who insist on using B.C.E./C.E., but I don't particularly care. Not a hot button for me.

6. Came here from Golfwidow.

 

@ 13 March, 2005 16:28, Blogger D_Man eloquently stated...

1. Isn't it a heavy metal group? AD/BC? They sung that song "I want a mistress for Christmas" and "Back in Black".
Oh hang, on that's not what everyone else is writing ... OK, now I think it means Before Christ and something mafia-sounding that means after the death of the Baby Jesus.
2. WTF? What kind of new age Darwinist talk is that?
3. BC and AD. Because that's all I know.
4. Jedi Knight. I shit you not: http://d-manz.diaryland.com/050214_4.html
5. BC/AD has a religious basis, just like most of our (NZ) public holidays and judicial system. Even though they don't actually match up with what researchers believe his actual birth and death dates were. I don't think of Jesus when using them though, so it has no spiritual meaning for me.
CE/BCE - again, WTF? What kind of gobledeegookquakery do you guys teach in school over there. Freaks.
If you change things now, I won't be able to get my head around WHEN you are talking about, unless CE/BCE matches up precisely with AC/DC. In which case, I'd be fine.
6. Golf Widow said to come here. It beats working.
I do believe in some of what you Yanks call separation of Church & State, because you have to acknowledge that people have other beliefs (or none at all). But Christianity is part of your country's foundation.

D-Man

 

@ 14 March, 2005 07:00, Blogger FunkyB eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ, After Death
2. Never EVER heard that one before
3. I kind of like #2, now that I've read through the comments and know what it means, but I'll probably use #1 out of sheer laziness and not wanting to explain it to others.
4. Catholic
5. Does absolutely have religious trackback... but for me it's just they way we were taught.
6. Contemblogging!

 

@ 14 March, 2005 07:17, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

1. Before Christ/After Death.
2. I have never heard or seen those used before.
3. BC/AD
4. Christian
5. The first is not so much religious, as historic. The second - I really don't know. Never seen it before!
6. Came by way of GolfWidow.

 

@ 15 March, 2005 11:55, Blogger Karen eloquently stated...

1. How do you define the terms B.C and/or A.D.? Before Christ and Anno Domini

2. How do you define the terms C.E. and/or B.C.E.? Common Era, Before Common Era

3. Which term do you prefer to use? B.C. and A.D.

4. What is your religious affiliation? Christian

5. Do you feel these terms do or do not have religious meaning? I believe they are more historical than religious.

6. Additional Comments: I came by way of Suzanne at Contemblogging.

 

@ 15 March, 2005 18:53, Anonymous Theconfusedgoat eloquently stated...

1) Before Christ, Anno Domini (after his death)
2) Common Era, Before the Common Era
3) CE, BCE
4) agnostic
5) Yeah, they've got religious meaning.
6) Golfwidow

 

@ 19 March, 2005 20:35, Anonymous wildwest eloquently stated...

I don't want to upset the apple cart with baby Jesus in it, but I always thought BC stood for 'Before Christ' also, but I went to China for a year in 1998 and was in the National Palace Museum or whatever it is was, looking at pottery shards and such from eons ago and it said (in English) 1900 BC and it explained what BC stood and it wasn't 'Before Christ'. For the life of me I can't remember what it was, but it did have to do with Jesus' birth and all, but it was not 'Before Christ'. I'll rack my brain and look at photos from the museum, and try to remember what it was. I know you all will think I'm whacko, but I was blown away when I read what it meant also. I'll be back...

 

@ 11 October, 2005 15:15, Anonymous Anonymous eloquently stated...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gold charm charm bracelet site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< back to bitchitude