BTude w t f ?

BTude a.k.a. GlassHoppah on the beaches of
Kaneohe, Hawaii, United States ... a 30 sumthin' attitudinally impaired brat, just returning to college. Is that a disability? Overworked, underpaid and in the midst of a major career change. Dare you ask for more about b'tude...

+ fresh off the jet: the flying penguini's arrive on...
+ back to school: week 8
+ shameless plugz: 03.01.2005
+ research: b.c./a.d. vs. c.e./b.c.e.
+ back to school: week 7
+ back to school: week 6
+ shameless plugz: 02.18.2005
+ bitch and bull: 02.11.2005
+ back to school: week 5
+ bitch and bull: 02.04.2005


10 March 2005


back to school: week 9

Welcome to number nine in the series, "Get My Ass Outta’ This Class!"

My perfect attendance record is officially toast! I played hooky, ditched school, skipped school (ok, I’m not so badass, it was only half a day, but a much needed one!)

DB was sicker ‘an a sad dawg, and I wasn’t feeling so hot—but damnit if it isn’t MORE work and time consuming to not go, than to have stayed! We had to hunt down two professors, email assignments, and play phone tag to pick up missed assignments and information. Ahhh, I almost think we should have just stayed there and suffered through! Skippin’ school surely ain’t what it used to be! I used to just walk in one door and out the other, then over to the busstop, and on to the beach, once I knew the parent-model had driven off!

Confessions: So just as I think my energy is gearing back up and adjusting from it’s maladjusted state, getting a paper returned with a “no grade,” oops, wait, let me rephrase, “NO GRADE” was so totally not what I needed! I rewrote it, but it was traumatic to say the least, sapping me of every ounce of vitality left in my soul. Two pages of comments in 8-point type—I mean c’mon! I’m pulling 100+ percent in English right alongside this class, and was the same in that one, that is until now! Cross your fingers, toes, eyes, and any spare body parts for me that the rewrite survives for a decent grade!

“Why, oh why, did this happen, B’Tude?” Well, my darlings, it is partially because I used more than 2 syllable words, or rather because I didn’t dumb it down enough (WTF, isn’t that what my blog is for?) and secondly because dis’ proffesore’ is working way outside of the box for style and we clashed in the middle, somewhere. I’ll be sure to let you know if the old dog can learn new tricks—It felt so ‘high school’ turning in an extremely dumbed-down rewrite, but it was what he asked for…yeesh!

In other news, the scholarly marks at the midterm point are doing well otherwise, and only one midterm left, which thankfully, should be fairly breezy. We shall see, as my confidence now waivers in the light of the “NO GRADE” issue…

Compliment of the day: Being of age (well, nontraditional age) comes with an unspoken responsibility--Professors can use you for examples, and some of us occasionally have something to say… in this case it was about flaky ex’s and child support. When asked how many years the ex had ‘skipped’ paying, I answered. Unprepared and confused about the doubletake (not once, but twice) and necks craning around the room, he utters, “Well, you sure do pickle well!” The younger crowd was a bit puzzled, and he reiterated with “preserved” which they understood better. Are you sure? Uhhh, yeah. Does nobody see these deepening laugh lines, but me? Vanity… it’s a terrible thing to waste!

So I leave that class and walk into the evil FreakShrink’s class—get situated, just as she demands the entire back rows to move up front. I dogmatically shook my head, pointed to my eyes (the whole petrified contact thing, remember?) She was prepared this time—she had turned the front air conditioners OFF! Damnit, anyways! I guess she didn’t appreciate us backrow slackers (2/3) being in the back rows—we broke her stereotype! But I submitted, moved up and intently gazed upon her as she lectured. I’m not complaining though, she cut us loose 30 minutes early! Hrmmm, do you think that would work twice? Lol—I’ll let you know!

I haven’t left for my last day this week, yet. I’m reserving this spot in the event something truly amazing happens today, but I’m hoping not! I’ll update as necessary, though!

Updated: 03.15.2005 Regurgitated Research: if you haven’t responded to my research survey, I impress upon you the importance of my education, my new future career, my reputation as the teacher’s techno-pet… what ARE you waiting for? :) 47 down, 53 to go! 94 down, 6 ta' go!

[ research: bc/ad vs. ce/bce]

And mahalo (thank you) once again, to everyone who has responded and pimped out my homework! I can't even begin to express how much it has helped!

§

scrawled by BTude a.k.a. GlassHoppah @ Thursday, March 10, 2005

6 bitches:

@ 10 March, 2005 12:54, Blogger Becky eloquently stated...

Okay, I didn't get the "pickle well" thing, either, until you said "preserved." Maybe that's more of a regional thing than an age one?

One thing I always hated about some teachers is how they want you to be creative, yet it still has to be within their guidelines.

 

@ 10 March, 2005 13:21, Blogger Steve eloquently stated...

Well, I think that adult students are actually better off than people who are entering college at 18. Did you know what you wanted to do for a career when you were 18?

Do you ever feel as if you're on a different level than everyone else? Not in an arrogant way, but that everyone else affords you more respect.

-Steve
Games are for Children

 

Becky, lol--not sure, I'm a west coast girl (until I lived here) and he's from the east coast, but has been here for thirty years.

Yep, yep on the guideline things... for what it's worth, he's impressed I got it in so fast, so hopefully it's ok...plus he'll be offering up some extra credit if all else fails *whew*

Steve, thanks for stopping by! I agree with you--I just had a kid (lol, probly like 20--gawd, I'm getting old) who admitted it had to be easier to focus as an adult, rather than his age, even though he was doing alright.

At 18--hell no did I know what I wanted to do, I ended up in the techie world, now I'm changing careers, so it all works out :)

And to the last questions--Absolutely! A bit spoiled on some levels and there is definitely a higher level of respect from both students and Professors, alike. A woman in her 40's today was also telling me she one professor who refused to acknowledge the older students in her class. The concensus was one of intimidation and on in some aspects forcing the younger ones to participate more. Somewhat of a catch 22 in some cases.

 

@ 11 March, 2005 02:12, Blogger Bud eloquently stated...

I may be coming from a highly prejudiced point of view but to my knowledge and experience, college profs, as a rule, do not ever learn anything formally about the art of teaching. They generally depend on their knowledge of the subject and the fact that they know how to talk, however elementary those skills may be. The people you describe should never be confused with people who actually teach, that is those of us with degrees in teaching. Some are naturally gifted and no amount of teacher training would improve on what they already do well. Others need heavy remediation. They need to get on the short bus.

 

@ 12 March, 2005 15:29, Blogger lovedoghell eloquently stated...

Good for you to go back to school. I can't imagine going back to school at my age (41). I also worked in Technology for 20 years, got fed up, and now I do pretty much nothing except reading blogs and writing. I miss Hawaii. I stay in a friend's house when I go there in Kaneohe. She said it's hard to make friends there. It's weird that your blog is the second back-to-back blogs written by someone in Kaneohe.

 

Thanks HJ! Hey, don't let age slow you down if it's something you want to do (go back to school, that is). I'm really amazed at how many older students there are including a good handful of 50-60's for various reasons.

I've only seen a couple of other Kaneohe blogs, and one of them resides in the same house, lol. But there are quite a few Hawaii-based bloggers around!

 

Post a Comment

<< back to bitchitude